The magical world of Harry Potter has brought us together in many ways. Our childhood wouldn’t have been complete without J.K. Rowling’s amazing books. The beloved series of books and movies will always have a special place in our hearts.
As Ms. McGonagall says, “There won’t be a child in our world that doesn’t know his name.” The name Harry Potter is famous even in our muggle world. Through the years, we have laughed and cried along with the characters in the books and on screen. They taught us to have the courage to believe in ourselves.
The enlightening and empowering lines from the books and movies have had a significant impact on its audience. Along with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, we understood that friends would fight for you and never judge you. They will support you and help you fight your battles. When you have a friendship like the golden trio’s, there is nothing you cannot beat, not even a dark lord with no nose.
The series has come to an end (choosing to ignore the book-that-must-not-be-named), but never forgotten. Here’s a list of quotes taken from the books and films to inspire you. Even a non-potterhead can find strength and knowledge in these words. As you might have guessed already, most of the quotes are from Albus Dumbledore. Enjoy!
Famous Harry Potter Quotes!
1. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” – Albus Dumbledore
Dumbledore delivers this wise line in The Sorcerer’s Stone. The headmaster’s words remind us to live in the ‘now’. When we think too much about our past and future, we forget to enjoy our present.
2. “Fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself.” – Hermione Granger
The wizards in Harry Potter are terrified of the name ‘Voldemort’ as they are of the man himself. Hermione, being the sassy, intelligent witch, she is, knows how stupid it is to fear a name. When you dread the idea of something, it will only make you more scared of the real thing. Don’t let your mind be led to feel a specific way.
3. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” – Albus Dumbledore
Neville Longbottom stands up to the trio when he finds them creeping out at night. It’s fairly easy to be opposing your enemies, but it takes courage to be able to speak up against your friends. Don’t hesitate to call out your friends when they do something wrong.
4. “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” – Sirius Black
It’s natural for people to be respectful and polite to their seniors, what matters is how they treat their inferiors. People of higher position don’t often treat their juniors with respect; they feel some jobs are beneath their care and attention. Such people might win at their jobs but they will never win at life. No matter what position a person has, always treat them with respect.
5. “I am not worried, Harry…I am with you.” – Albus Dumbledore
Having someone you can trust and rely on can boost your courage considerably. Knowing that there is someone who will hold you when you fall is a tremendous comfort. If you have someone like this, be sure to appreciate them. Don’t take everything and everyone for granted; count your blessings.
6. “I think we’ve outgrown full-time education … Time to test our talents in the real world, d’you reckon?” – Fred Weasley
Who says people with no proper schooling are unintelligent or won’t survive in the world? Many successful people have dropped out of high school. Fred and George wanted to pursue their dream of opening a joke shop and did not hesitate to follow it through. We can all learn from them to not hold back when pursuing our goals.
7. “What’s comin’ will come, an’ we’ll meet it when it does.” – Rubeus Hagrid
Our future is unclear and unpredictable; there is little we can do about it. What we can do is be mentally prepared to handle anything that comes our way.
8. “There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them.” – J.K. Rowling
Hermione had a difficult time making friends when she first joined Hogwarts, but the courage and loyalty she showed to Harry and Ron made them fast friends. Sometimes it can be hard to find people you click with; not everyone has friends they can trust irrevocably. It takes time so be patient; there is someone out there who is also waiting to cross paths with you.
9. “I mean it’s sort of exciting, isn’t it, breaking the rules?” – Hermione Granger
Despite being the top student of her year, she doesn’t mind breaking the rules when the need arises. With life too, you must relax sometimes and draw outside the lines.
10. “We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” – Sirius Black
Just like the principle of Yin and Yang, there is darkness and light in all of us. No one is born bad. The person you become is a result of the choices you make. Your fate lies entirely in your hands.
11. “Numbing the pain for a while will make it worse when you finally feel it.” – Albus Dumbledore
Don’t run from your feelings, face them. Whether it’s a fear, or your past, stop the chase. Face the pain head-on. It won’t be easy, but it won’t bite you in the back either.
12. “And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.” – Albus Dumbledore
What a beautiful word, ‘adventure.’ The eleven-year-old protagonists in the book had near-death experiences every year; although you don’t have to go so far, fill your life with thrill. Encourage the adventurer in you.
13. “I am what I am an’ I’m not ashamed.” – Rubeus Hagrid
Never apologize for who you are. Embrace every unique quality within you; love yourself. There is already too much hate and contempt in this world; you don’t need to put such negative emotions on yourself.
14. “You sort of start thinking anything’s possible if you’ve got enough nerve.” – Ginny Weasley
Be brave. Do what you’ve always wanted to do. Stop making silly excuses to avoid doing it. Anything is possible if you believe.
15. “Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.” – Luna Lovegood
Just how nothing is permanent, neither is loss. It will take time for good things to find their way to you, so be patient.
16. “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -Albus Dumbledore
Life is full of choices. Who you love, where you go, what you read, they are all choices you make for yourself. A person’s capability doesn’t show who he is; it’s the decision you make that builds you up into the person you are.
17. “But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” – Albus Dumbledore
18. “Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving.” – Kingsley Shacklebolt
No one life is more important than another. Each life has equal importance and significance. Treat everyone the way you’d want to be treated.
19. “Scars can come in handy. I have one myself above my left knee that is a perfect map of the London underground.” – Albus Dumbledore
Your scars don’t make you ugly; they enhance your beauty. Every scar you have has a story to tell; it reminds you of the battles you fought.
20. “Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic.” – Albus Dumbledore
One of the most powerful wizards believed in the magic of words. No matter how big a problem, words can solve it. There is magic in words that you can use to make the world a better place.
Write a comment
25 Wittiest Tyrion Lannister Quotes to Keep You on Top of Your Life
When it comes to wit or sass, few can compare to Tyrion Lannister. Portrayed by the talented Peter Dinklage, Tyrion Lannister is a character in the hit HBO series Game of Thrones. Based on A Song of Ice and Fire, a series of epic fantasy novels written by George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones has […]
10 Self-Help Books For Women Looking To Live A Happier Life
Self-help books have become very popular among women in the last few decades. The reason is simple; they help in motivating you. With most people going through midlife crisis and quarter-life crisis, it’s not surprising these books would be selling like hot pancakes. The best thing while reading them, is the feeling of being understood, […]
10 Best Motivational Books That Will Help You Take Charge Of Your Life
Legendary football manager, Arsene Wenger, once said, “When you look at people who are successful, you will find that they aren’t the people who are motivated, but have consistency in their motivation.” Sadly, distraction is all around us – and as a result, constantly keeping oneself motivated can be hard. Motivation is one of the […]
People1 year ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
People1 year ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
Self-Improvement1 year ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
Movies12 months ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies1 year ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation1 year ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes1 year ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies12 months ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You