Tolkien was one of the greatest writers in the history of English Literature. His works, The Hobbit and the epic novel The Lord of The Rings, are considered classic fantasy works and are widely praised for their rich details in storytelling. He was also very interested in myths and legends and often used them in his books.
J.R.R. Tolkien blazed a trail for fantasy writers and created a cult following from his works. His works have sold millions of copies worldwide in more than 30 languages. His books have turned into major motion pictures, directed by Peter Jackson. The movies are just as famous as the books and have retained all the visual details in storytelling.
“The English-speaking world is divided into those who have read ‘The Lord of the Rings’ and ‘The Hobbit’ and those who are going to read them.” ― Sunday Times
In honor of the legendary writer, we have collected some of the best quotes from his works. If you haven’t read his books, these quotes might inspire you to do so.
Best J.R.R Tolkien Quotes To Inspire You To Take The Journey Of Life
1. “Not all those who wander are lost.”
Fill your heart with wonder. Wander where the clouds meet the ocean, the trees make a curtain, and the stars overwhelm you. For those who get lost, find themselves.
2. “A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
Dare to dream as big as you can and go further. Dreams have no limits. Explore all the possibilities.
3. “Little by little, one travels far.”
It’s the small steps that cover a long journey. A drop is nothing in the ocean, but the ocean is made up of millions of drops. So, keep taking those small steps and watch it lead you far and wide.
4. “Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape? . . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
Fantasy is the most convenient way to escape the limited controls of reality. The power of the human mind is such that we can create a whole new universe in our heads. Who is to say that the world you create isn’t real? Tolkien created his own world and although it’s all made up, it is real for the readers when they read it.
5. “The biggest adventure is what lies ahead.”
Life is a journey of ups and downs, twists and turns. As hard as it gets, always keep going forward.
6. “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.”
We are all here for a limited time. It depends on us how we want to use this time.
7. “Still round the corner, there may wait, A new road or a secret gate.”
Never give up on your dream. Be curious, be adventurous and be brave. Life will be worth living when you let yourself live.
8. “If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.”
Imagine, believe and achieve. A drop of water can create ripples, one act of kindness can do the same.
9. “It’s a dangerous business going out your front door.”
As long as you go out and brace any obstacles, you will have an adventure.
10. “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
People who stick by you through thick and thin are the kind of people you should be with. Those who abandon you with excuses at the prospect of difficulty deserve no amount of time and attention.
11. “Never laugh at live dragons.”
Tolkien loved dragons. His idea of a dragon was an intelligent, and charming but deadly creature. His dragon, Smaug, in The Hobbit, was born from the inspiration of two other dragons from old Literature.
12. “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
Bilbo Baggins says this during his farewell party. He delivers this witty compliment to his fellow guests as a parting gift to his beloved Shire and its hobbits.
13. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.”
Always believe in yourself and your dreams. Build confidence and fight for them.
14. “The world is indeed full of peril, and in it, there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater.”
To love is to accept all the emotions that come with it. Those who choose to love despite all the difficulties that arise are those who prevail in it.
15. “I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.”
We are only human, and it’s important to embrace all our emotions. To cry is the most human quality and it shouldn’t be shunned. It’s okay to shed tears in joy or in pain; it does not lessen our dignity whether it be a man or a woman or anyone.
16. “Courage is found in unlikely places.”
Courage is hidden deep inside most of us. It doesn’t wake up and come forth till you need it. Unless you challenge yourself and do the things that make you nervous, it will remain hidden.
17. “The wise speak only of what they know.”
The older you get, the wiser you become. Wisdom comes with experience, which comes from time. With time we all age and therefore, the elders are wiser.
18. “It’s the job that’s never started as takes longest to finish.”
Procrastination is evil in disguise. The only thing that gets in-between you and your goal is the excuses you keep making up for yourself. Once you do it, things will fall into place. Life will unfold as it should if you make the initiative to start.
19. “There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.”
Even if you don’t realize your aim in life, it’s essential to believe it’s somewhere out there and that you should keep looking for it. Try different things. See what clicks, if nothing does, keep looking.
20. “What do you fear, lady?”
“A cage, to stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
The world is vast and unexplored. We have all the necessary equipment. Dare to live the life you want to. It’s the saddest thing to live with regret and guilt. Don’t let the shackles of the present, kill your future. Free yourself.
21. “You must understand, young Hobbit; it takes a long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.”
Never say something meaningful without giving it a thought over. Words can be the most powerful thing when used correctly. Learn from the Ents, only say something if it’s worth it.
22. “No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly.”
Reach for your dreams. Don’t let the fear of losing keep you from the prospects of winning.
23. “Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.”
The best of things are usually done in the shadows. Important inventions and innovations that we use today come from people who never received any recognition for it. Nonetheless, their contributions don’t go unappreciated.
24. “Darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer.”
Tolkien, in his books, used evil forces and heroes who fought them. His heroes always came out fighting valiantly and bravely. The darkness that took over their world was overthrown by a single halfling who had help from his friends. If you believe that the sun will shine brighter after the rain, you will conquer all your fears.
25. “You have been chosen, and you must, therefore, use such strength and heart and wits as you have.”
You have been chosen to honor and use the life given to you as best as you can. All the qualities that are necessary for you to live a meaningful life are hidden inside. It’s up to you to find them and use them to fulfill your quest in life.
26. “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”
If one hobbit has the power to defeat the evil force Sauron, you too can change your future. Maybe even help improve so many other’s futures.
Inspiration can be found in the unlikeliest of things. Some find it in the words of a fantasy novel written ages ago, while others look for it in the lives of people around them. No matter where, if you find it, the results can be life-changing.
Tolkien’s books have motivated millions of people to follow their dreams. His words have created a whole new world where the readers can find adventures, trolls, wizards, dragons and more.
Hope you found the inspirational Tolkien quote you were looking for!
Write a comment
Live Smarter With These 15 Cunning Niccolò Machiavelli Quotes
Few individuals boast a reputation as controversial as that of Niccolo Machiavelli. Born on May 3, 1469, in Florence, Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat, historian, philosopher, and author. Also known as the ‘father of modern political theory’, Machiavelli is most well-known for his book Il Principe (or ‘The Prince’), a sort […]
20 Top Margaret Thatcher Quotes on Courage and Conviction
There have been few politicians as controversial as Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the ‘Iron Lady’, Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) was born on October 13th, 1925, in Grantham, England. Her family operated a local grocery in Grantham and lived in an apartment above their store. A very talented student, Thatcher was received her early […]
20 Inspiring Athlete Quotes on Getting Results Through Hard Work
Motivation is the ability to initiate and persist despite the odds. And few things require more motivation than the field of athletics and sports. In fact, one could claim that motivation is the groundwork to every and all athletic achievement. Of course, factors like the mind, body, focus, and confidence are important too – but […]
People8 months ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
Self-Improvement8 months ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
People7 months ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
Movies7 months ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies8 months ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation7 months ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes8 months ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies7 months ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You