The woman who discovered radium and put it on the periodic table, Madame Marie Curie was a scientific pioneer. The first woman to win a Nobel Prize and the only person to win two Nobel Prizes in two different sciences. Marie Curie made a significant place for herself in the male-dominated science scene. When the world’s greatest scientists were assembled in 1927 to discuss the fundamentals of physics, Curie was the only female scientist present.
Marie was of Polish descent and came to France to pursue her studies. There she met with Pierre Curie, a fellow scientist. After their marriage, they worked together to discover radium. Marie lived in a time where women were given no recognition in the field of science. Her first Nobel Prize would have gone to her husband, had he not insisted that they worked together in their laboratory.
Her memory and discoveries are glorified today, yet the life she lived was full of hardships. The society was harsh and relentless, any chance to tear apart a foreign woman in France was jumped upon. It was her passion and curiosity to find out more that led to a happy ending to her magnificent story.
Marie is an inspirational woman who blazed the trail for future female scientists with her radium light. Even 84 years after her death, she is still one of the most famous female scientists.
Her life motivates us to do better.
16 Inspirational Marie Curie Quotes To Motivate You To Change For The Better!
1. “I was taught that the way of progress is neither swift nor easy.”
All great things take time. Have patience, don’t look for momentary pleasure when you can aim for greater things.
2. “The older one gets, the more one feels that the present moment must be enjoyed, comparable to a state of grace.”
Worrying about your future does not guarantee it will work out the way you want it to. The future is unpredictable. The only thing we have for sure is the present. Don’t wait till you’re old to realize this; it may be too late to live an exciting life then.
3. “I have frequently been questioned, especially by women, of how I could reconcile family life with a scientific career. Well, it has not been easy.”
Marie’s children were mostly looked after by her father-in-law since she had to spend months on end in her laboratory for her research. She knew she would not be happy if she stayed looking after the children while she could be making scientific discoveries. In life, you must make the right decision for yourself. If you are unhappy while trying to make someone else pleased, there will be no true contentment.
4. “Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.”
Take the time to understand that which you do not. A foolish person hates things he cannot comprehend while a wise person studies it. Don’t make hasty decisions. Be brave and venture into the unknown. It is far better than sulking in the shadow of those who do.
5. “You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end, each of us must work for our own improvement.”
A world where each person realizes their faults and genuinely tries to work on them. There would be no lack of compassion and understanding for our fellow people. When one tries to learn from their mistakes, instead of pointing out others’, there can be lasting harmony.
6. “Life is not easy for any of us. But what of it? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained.”
Yes, life can be harsh, it can even throw you on your backs and pin you down. What you can do is keep fighting. If you keep trying, you will be noticed, your efforts will be taken into consideration, and a helping hand might appear for you. If you give up, no one will see you on the floor; everyone is too busy with their own problems. If you have a dream, go for it. Work to make them a reality.
7. “Be less curious about people and more curious about ideas.”
Don’t waste your days minding other people’s business. It does no credit to you. Be more curious about what you can achieve if you set your mind to it. Take some risks; stop wasting time.
8. “One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done.”
If there is something you want to achieve in life, there is nothing to do but work for it. See what you must and can do to get where you want to. Do not look back at what you’ve been through, look forward and see what you must do.
9. “Have no fear of perfection; you’ll never reach it.”
Time wasted looking for perfection is the time you could have been using to improve on yourself. Bringing better change to your personality, knowledge, experiences, is the best way to use your time.
10. “There are sadistic scientists who hurry to hunt down errors instead of establishing the truth.”
It is a tough world out there. There will be people who pull you apart only to see how well you do under pressure. But there will also be people who want to help and support you toward your dream. Accept both as blessings and keep doing what you do.
11. “I am one of those who thinks, like Nobel, that humanity will draw more good than evil from new discoveries.”
When Marie was still working to develop her thesis on radioactivity, she didn’t know it would be beneficial in the medical field. Her long and hard hours of finding radium led to helping millions of French soldiers in the war front during World War I.
12. “First principle: never to let one’s self be beaten down by persons or by events.”
What people think of you doesn’t matter. People will think whatever they want to; it’s only a reflection of their character, not yours. If you believe in yourself and what you do, you do not owe anyone an explanation.
13. “Humanity needs practical men, who get the most out of their work, and, without forgetting the general good, safeguard their own interests. But humanity also needs dreamers, for whom the disinterested development of an enterprise is so captivating that it becomes impossible for them to devote their care to their own material profit.”
No one profession that is better than another. We are all a necessary part of surviving as humans. An artist’s vision is just as important to humanity as is a scientist’s discovery. Nobody should be looked down upon based on their profession; we are all equals.
14. “All my life through, the new sights of Nature made me rejoice like a child.”
Nature is the one thing that can strike you with awe with its natural beauty. The sophisticated way it works to sustain life and environment is far more significant than any invention. It is the greatest gift we have received yet we work hard to destroy it.
15. “A scientist in his laboratory is not a mere technician: he also a child confronting natural phenomena that impress him as though they were fairy tales.”
Science is not as concrete as it seems when you compare it to artists who dream up their works. Scientist are also dreamers, they believe in their dreams, then they go on to trust their vision so much so that they prove it to the world.
16. “Each of us must work for his own improvement, and at the same time share a general responsibility for all humanity.”
Madame Curie’s life has been a source of inspiration for millions of people around the world. She lived a most extraordinary life, but she was a remarkable woman, so there is no surprise there. She was a beacon of hope for many woman scientists and is still admired for her bold and brave disposition for a lady of that period.
Write a comment
Live Smarter With These 15 Cunning Niccolò Machiavelli Quotes
Few individuals boast a reputation as controversial as that of Niccolo Machiavelli. Born on May 3, 1469, in Florence, Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat, historian, philosopher, and author. Also known as the ‘father of modern political theory’, Machiavelli is most well-known for his book Il Principe (or ‘The Prince’), a sort […]
20 Top Margaret Thatcher Quotes on Courage and Conviction
There have been few politicians as controversial as Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the ‘Iron Lady’, Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) was born on October 13th, 1925, in Grantham, England. Her family operated a local grocery in Grantham and lived in an apartment above their store. A very talented student, Thatcher was received her early […]
20 Inspiring Athlete Quotes on Getting Results Through Hard Work
Motivation is the ability to initiate and persist despite the odds. And few things require more motivation than the field of athletics and sports. In fact, one could claim that motivation is the groundwork to every and all athletic achievement. Of course, factors like the mind, body, focus, and confidence are important too – but […]
People1 year ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
People1 year ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
Self-Improvement1 year ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
Movies1 year ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies1 year ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation1 year ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes1 year ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies1 year ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You