Mark Twain, born Samuel Langhorne Clemens, was one of the most celebrated authors of English literature. His incredible writings have influenced writers and readers through history. Mark has taught his readers to savor life and not let it rush past you; to be adventurous, imaginative, and courageous. He was well-known for his use of humor and satire to target critical issues of the time.
“The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” and “Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark are both considered classic novels of English Literature. He was praised as the “greatest humorist produced by America” and called “the father of American Literature” by William Faulkner.
Mark was born shortly after the appearance of Halley’s comet in 1835, and he predicted that he would “go out with it.” As fate would have it, he passed away a day after it’s return in 1910. When Mark died, he left behind his timeless classics; they have continued to live on and inspire the world of literature.
In honor of the late author, here are some of his most important quotes.
Mark Twain Quotes To Inspire You To Live To The Fullest!
1. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.”
2. “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.”
To aim for perfection is like traveling to a place that does not exist. You will get lost while finding yourself. If you can strive to improve yourself in every aspect, you will find yourself in places you never thought of looking before.
3. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”
Physical strength does not determine the winner or loser; the one with the most spirit and vigor is the one who succeeds in the end.
4. “Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you would rather have talked.”
It’s usually very revealing and insightful to listen to older people. Their tales are the most inspiring ones and will change the way you look at history and life.
5. “The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
A work begun is work half done.
6. “I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”
Real education lies in the experiences you have outside of school.
7. “It’s a classic…something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read.”
Often a book or a movie from the classics are not very fun to read or watch. In Mark’s case, his books will not only not disappoint, but they will inspire you to live a free life.
8. “Why shouldn’t truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.”
A good writer can make a world of make-believe believable.
9. “Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.”
10. “I do not fear death, I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
Accept that death is inevitable. It will come, but use this knowledge to make yourself live in the moment and not worry about the future.
11. “If everybody was satisfied with himself there would be no heroes.”
Life is a journey of challenging yourself and your capabilities. Be kind, compassionate and considerate when you walk up the path you choose.
12. “Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great.”
No one can tell you who you can and cannot be. That power lies only with you. If you believe in yourself and your dream, what people say don’t matter.
13. “Give every day the chance to become the most beautiful of your life.”
14. “Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn’t any. But this wrongs the jackass.”
Humans can be the most compassionate and sentient of beings, but the majority choose not to.
15. “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”
We can all learn from history. It is the best teacher who will not only give you information but real-life examples as well.
16. “An author values a compliment even when it comes from a source of doubtful competency.”
Be strong enough to appreciate the negative comments that come your way. While you can use the compliments to be more confident, you can also use the critics to learn how people form opinions based on the different things you do.
17. “The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.”
18. “A successful book is not made of what is in it, but of what is left out of it.”
19. “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
There is this preconceived prejudice against travelers. People constantly question travelers and their motives. The truth is, they live the most inspirational and adventurous lives compared to any other. If you dream of becoming one, go for it! People may talk, but you’ll be living the real life.
20. “Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.”
If there’s something important you must do, but it can be done in the future as well, now is the best time to do it. Remember what happened when you had a month to prepare for your exams?
21. “Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else.”
22. “Always obey your parents when they are present.”
It is never a good idea to break the rules when the people who made them are watching.
23. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. catch the trade winds in your sails.”
A life of regret is the one I am most scared of.
We live out our childhood days being schooled, after that, we are constantly trying to understand what we want to do with our lives while also looking for a stable job. Once you get a job, you are looking to be settled down with a family. Once you have a family you are earning to keep it. And when you finally retire, you’re left with aching bones and an old soul who never lived for itself.
24. “Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear, and the blind can see.”
25. “It is good to obey all the rules when you’re young, so you’ll have the strength to break them when you’re old.”
As the saying goes, “Rules are meant to be broken.”
26. “When all else fails, write what your heart tells you. You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.”
Whatever you want to be in life, remember to be true to yourself. Listen to what your core self is trying to communicate to you.
27. “Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.”
Related: Self-Confidence Quotes
28. “That desire which is in us all to better other people’s condition by having them think as we think.”
We all have different ways of functioning. Even in your friend circle, each one has their own personality and way of thinking. You cannot make them think as you do. A person who stubbornly tries to make people think a certain way will not have any real friend.
29. “I believe in women doing what they deem necessary to secure their rights.”
Back when there were a lot of differing opinions on women’s rights, Mark laid down where his support lied.
Related: Self Help Books For Women
30. “When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.”
31. “Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (pause and reflect).”
It’s always a smart idea to view your position from outside the box. Try to enter the other box and see what crosses your mind there. Explore all the possibilities and opportunities before lining up behind the first queue you see.
Mark has left an everlasting mark in history. With his witty and humorous writing skills, he has won over the hearts of readers everywhere. He was a fearless pioneer who didn’t let the restriction placed by society affect his works. For romantics and fantasists, his works are a window to a lost world.
Mark’s life was full of loss and grief, yet he wrote frivolously. He may be gone, but he will live forever in the words of his books and the hearts of his readers.
Write a comment
Live Smarter With These 15 Cunning Niccolò Machiavelli Quotes
Few individuals boast a reputation as controversial as that of Niccolo Machiavelli. Born on May 3, 1469, in Florence, Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat, historian, philosopher, and author. Also known as the ‘father of modern political theory’, Machiavelli is most well-known for his book Il Principe (or ‘The Prince’), a sort […]
20 Top Margaret Thatcher Quotes on Courage and Conviction
There have been few politicians as controversial as Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the ‘Iron Lady’, Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) was born on October 13th, 1925, in Grantham, England. Her family operated a local grocery in Grantham and lived in an apartment above their store. A very talented student, Thatcher was received her early […]
20 Inspiring Athlete Quotes on Getting Results Through Hard Work
Motivation is the ability to initiate and persist despite the odds. And few things require more motivation than the field of athletics and sports. In fact, one could claim that motivation is the groundwork to every and all athletic achievement. Of course, factors like the mind, body, focus, and confidence are important too – but […]
People11 months ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
People11 months ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
Self-Improvement11 months ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
Movies10 months ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies11 months ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation10 months ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes11 months ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies10 months ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You