Jalāl ad-Dīn Muḥammad Rūmī, more popularly known as Rumi, is one of the most well-known poets in history. His poems have lived beyond the barriers of time, borders and nationality. They have been translated into countless languages in various forms. In his poetry, you’ll find a mirror held up to the beauty of nature, an insight into your deepest emotions, and all the answers one is always looking for.
Rumi was a 13th century Persian poet, scholar, jurist, theologian and Sufi mystic. His works are an inspiration to innumerable poets across the world. Even if you haven’t heard of Rumi himself, I’m sure you’ve come across a quote from his works. His poems have the power to touch the deepest corner of your soul and make you realize how well it was hidden underneath.
His words remind us to live, love, be free, and not to waste our time worrying about problems we create for ourselves.
Let’s look at some of the most inspirational Rumi quotes to help you connect with life and nature.
1. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”
2. “The wound is the place where the Light enters you.”
Every time you make a mistake, you learn from it. As the Japanese do, Kintsugi is the art of repairing broken pottery by using gold or silver. This art adds value and appreciation for the history of the earthenware. Similarly, you can embrace your scars because they add beauty to your personality.
3. “I know you’re tired but come, this is the way.”
When you know what you want to do in life, go for it all the way. Don’t give up when times get hard. Things may not even be what you imagined they would be, but if you’re sure, and that’s what you want. Keep going.
4. “Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.”
5. “Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
6. “Words are a pretext. It is the inner bond that draws one person to another, not words.”
First impressions only go as far as giving a glimpse outside the window. It may look beautiful outside; it might look boring. The truth is one never knows unless one goes out and experiences it themselves. When two people find a bond, it’s not because they have the same taste in music, or because they like the same genre of movies. Although these do help, the deciding factor lies in the small things that we fail to notice consciously.
7. “What you seek is seeking you.”
8. “Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.”
Surround yourself with people who motivate and encourage you. Do the things that make your heart race, feel alive, make memories. Cut out the things that hold you back.
9. “Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field.
I’ll meet you there.
When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about.”
10. “Why should I be unhappy? Every parcel of my being is in full bloom.”
Never let anything or anyone have power over your emotions. Let the reason for your happiness lie within. You will have a happier life if you believe you can.
11. “Don’t grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form.”
12. “Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”
Your world is yourself. If you can change yourself for the better, you will see the world anew.
13. “Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.”
14. “These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.”
15. “Your heart is the size of an ocean. Go find yourself in its hidden depths.”
Like every other inspirational quote, this one also tells you to look inside yourself. With time we have forgotten to look inside for what we seek outside. We all have the capability to love unconditionally and limitlessly.
16. “Everything in the universe is within you. Ask all from yourself.”
17. “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
The troubles we face all come together to pave a path for us to reach our destination. If you don’t challenge them openly, your journey will take longer.
18. “Forget safety.
Live where you fear to live.
Destroy your reputation.
19. “You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?”
Fly up above all the worries of trivial things. Fly below the problems of the materialistic world. Fly just where you can enjoy the beauty of life with ease.
20. “Don’t be satisfied with stories, how things have gone with others. Unfold your own myth.”
Be bold, be brave, live the life you always dream of. Don’t hide in a cave where the only light you let in is from the screen. Have confidence in who you are.
21. “There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled.
There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled.
You feel it, don’t you?”
22. “Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you.”
If you believe in what you do, what everyone else says is irrelevant. It’s okay to be different; we’re all trying to satisfy the adventurer in us.
23. “You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.”
People have forgotten how to love, how to live. A life without any form of love is a wasted one. Learn to love, if nothing else, love life itself.
24. “Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.”
Use your talents to pay for your curious mind. Have adventures, sell them. Live an exciting life and teach others how to do the same.
25. “My soul is from elsewhere, I’m sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”
26. “Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.”
A person who can keep calm and not raise their voice in an argument is the kind of person who can win at life.
27. “Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you back towards disease and death.”
Welcome people who make you feel younger, freer and wilder.
28. “Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love.”
Listen to the silent voice inside that coaxes you to try something new and different. Believe in it, and watch as you start living a more meaningful life.
29. “When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy.”
30. “You are not a drop in the ocean; you are the entire ocean in a drop.”
Rumi’s words have deep messages underlying them. His poems are almost religious and make you feel one with the universe. A scholar who died decades ago left his written works behind, and his words have moved millions of people through the ages.
When one looks within for what one seeks outside, you’ll find all the answers lying inside. We can believe Rumi’s soul ended up where it belonged because he believed it would.
Write a comment
Live Smarter With These 15 Cunning Niccolò Machiavelli Quotes
Few individuals boast a reputation as controversial as that of Niccolo Machiavelli. Born on May 3, 1469, in Florence, Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat, historian, philosopher, and author. Also known as the ‘father of modern political theory’, Machiavelli is most well-known for his book Il Principe (or ‘The Prince’), a sort […]
20 Top Margaret Thatcher Quotes on Courage and Conviction
There have been few politicians as controversial as Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the ‘Iron Lady’, Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) was born on October 13th, 1925, in Grantham, England. Her family operated a local grocery in Grantham and lived in an apartment above their store. A very talented student, Thatcher was received her early […]
20 Inspiring Athlete Quotes on Getting Results Through Hard Work
Motivation is the ability to initiate and persist despite the odds. And few things require more motivation than the field of athletics and sports. In fact, one could claim that motivation is the groundwork to every and all athletic achievement. Of course, factors like the mind, body, focus, and confidence are important too – but […]
People8 months ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
Self-Improvement8 months ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
People7 months ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
Movies7 months ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies8 months ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation7 months ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes8 months ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies7 months ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You