Inspiration can often come to us from the strangest sources. And super-villains can have some of the most brilliant things to say.
Every good hero needs a good villain. That’s just how stories work. But what people don’t realize is that villains are often a fount of motivation. Think about it. Villains are often the people with a plan and – no matter how disagreeable their goal – they strive the hardest to achieve it. Supervillains, especially, never give up on their dreams no matter how many times the heroes thwart their plans. And that indomitable determination is something we can all learn from.
Here are some of the wisest supervillain quotes that will surprise and, hopefully, inspire you.
15 Wise Supervillain Quotes That Are Surprisingly Motivating
1. “Being brilliant is not enough, young man. You have to work hard.” – Doctor Octopus
Natural talent can only take you so far. If you do not hone your talents with hard work and effort, you will never get far in life.
2. “How ironic, Tony! Trying to rid the world of weapons, you gave it its best one ever! – Obadiah Stane
We should always be aware of what we are doing. Our intentions being good does not necessarily ensure that our actions are too. Remember: the road to Hell is paved in good intentions.
3. “Only silence was ever slain by words.” – Darkseid
Do not let words hurt you. Take them as what they are – noise. Letting yourself be affected by every negative thing somebody else says about you will only lower your self-esteem and invite toxicity into your life.
4. “I respect the mind’s power over the body.” – Scarecrow
People with amazing athletic prowess aren’t just born with excellent physique. Not at all. They get to where they are by putting their minds to it and constantly working towards achieving their ideals. And that is an ability all of us possess – the power to motivate ourselves to do anything if we put our minds to it.
5. “I’m not mad at all. I’m just differently sane.” – The Joker
Just because you are different from the people around you does not make you crazy or a freak. It just means you are unique. Embrace that feeling. Other people might try to tell you otherwise but it’s only because people have a tendency of being fearful of things they do not understand. As long as you aren’t hurting anyone, just ignore them and do your own thing. You don’t have to change for anyone else but you.
6. “Ever since the accident which transformed me into a human icicle, I’ve had to struggle just to survive! I didn’t complain- I even grew to appreciate my special condition.” – Mister Freeze
Bad things will happen to all of us eventually. The degree maybe different but hurt is unavoidable. That does not mean we should let it dampen our spirits. Always focus on the positive – even when the situation seems extremely dire. Because hope and optimism will help you overcome even the darkest of hours.
7. “A life, some would argue, is a series of problems. There’s no denying the truth in that. But why get lost in it? Why not rise above the truth and lead a good life? Shouldn’t we all look at problems as a chance for us to find solutions?” – Lex Luthor
It’s all a matter of perspective. If you constantly view the problems in your life in negative light, they will drain you and lead you down a dark road. But if you view them as opportunities to challenge yourself with, then you can find life becoming a much more positive experience.
8. “When life hits you hard, you gotta shrug it off… and move on to the next job.” – Captain Cold
Move on. No matter how much you are hurting or how bad it feels. Dwelling on your own suffering won’t make the pain go away. That’s not how healing is done. Instead, shift your focus on something else entirely. Remember: you are not sweeping away the bad things under a rug by moving on. You are proving to yourself that you are above the things that try to put you down.
9. “Hero. Villain. Ain’t much difference between the two, I guess. Just a question of what a man wants. And what lines he’s willing to cross to get it.” – Deadshot
When you boil it all down to the basics, we’re all the same. Our ideologies and our methods may differ but the thing that unites us is that we’re all trying to do what we think is best. And that could cause us to make mistakes along the line. So, do not hate or fear the people who make bad choices. Learn from them because that could be you.
10. “I’ve come home. Because I’m tired of running from who I am. From who I was born to be.” -Thanos
Be yourself. Because no matter how hard you try, you can’t run from who you really are. So, embrace your own identity. Don’t worry about what other people will think of you. They don’t matter. The only thing that matters is that you stay true to yourself.
11. “Why do they blame me for all their little failings? They use my name as if I spent my entire day sitting on their shoulders, forcing them to commit acts they would otherwise find repulsive. ‘The Devil made me do it.’ I have never made any one of them do anything. Never.” – Lucifer Morningstar
It is much easier to blame everything but ourselves for our poor choices. Because accepting responsibility for our own actions would be admitting that we too make mistakes; that we too are capable of doing bad things. But that does not we should shun accountability. Accepting responsibility for our own actions is the first step to improving ourselves and making sure that we never repeat our mistakes.
12. “The only thing that matters is whether or not you have the will to do what needs to be done.” – Black Mask
It doesn’t matter how hard your goals are. It doesn’t matter how high the odds are stacked against you. As long as you have the will to never give up and do whatever it takes to reach your goals, nothing can stop you.
13. “If you are strong enough, you will survive. That is the law of the jungle.” – Poison Ivy
No matter how hard things get, you can pull through with perseverance and sheer will. There is nothing in this world that can defeat you as long as you don’t surrender.
14. “All information is useful, Bat, when applied properly.” – Penguin
Always keep an open mind to new knowledge and experience. Because knowledge is never useless. If anything you know seems irrelevant, it just means you haven’t figured out where to use it yet.
15. “Do you truly believe von Doom embarks upon the least of his plans without calculating the smallest detail?” – Doctor Doom
It’s rarely a good idea to play it by the ear. Winging it might be unavoidable in some circumstances but it is always better to have a plan and a pre-conceived course of action. That way you can avoid unexpected surprises that don’t work in your favor – or at least avoid common pitfalls that might sour your ambitions.
Strange as it sounds, supervillains have some of the wisest lessons to teach us. Of course, they usually serve as cautionary tales but there are times when they can be much more. They can be wise, inspiring, and often serve us with the much-needed advice we need.
Just try not to follow their example too closely!
Write a comment
Live Smarter With These 15 Cunning Niccolò Machiavelli Quotes
Few individuals boast a reputation as controversial as that of Niccolo Machiavelli. Born on May 3, 1469, in Florence, Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian diplomat, historian, philosopher, and author. Also known as the ‘father of modern political theory’, Machiavelli is most well-known for his book Il Principe (or ‘The Prince’), a sort […]
20 Top Margaret Thatcher Quotes on Courage and Conviction
There have been few politicians as controversial as Margaret Thatcher. Also known as the ‘Iron Lady’, Margaret Hilda Thatcher (née Roberts) was born on October 13th, 1925, in Grantham, England. Her family operated a local grocery in Grantham and lived in an apartment above their store. A very talented student, Thatcher was received her early […]
Get Your Game Face On With These 25 Inspiring Video Game Quotes
Video games, in general, get a lot of bad rep. Often, people who don’t play them see them as too childish or too violent. But that is an incredibly unfair assessment. Because there is so much more to video games that only gamers get to see. It’s not all about shooting stuff or playing make-believe. […]
People1 year ago
These 10 Emotional Quotes By Kurt Cobain Will Pull At Your Heartstrings
People1 year ago
Top 18 Most Inspiring Steve Jobs Quotes
Self-Improvement1 year ago
These 25 Facts About Life May Be Harsh To Hear, But They’ll Make You A Much Better Person
Movies12 months ago
Top 33 Denzel Washington Quotes On Success and Hardships
Movies1 year ago
24 Most Inspirational Movies To Watch On Netflix
Motivation1 year ago
33 Simple Things To Start Doing For Yourself
Quotes1 year ago
Know Your Self-Worth With These 15 Inspirational Quotes
Movies12 months ago
16 Unforgettable Forrest Gump Quotes To Inspire You